Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Stockholm Nights



Before I came to Stockholm, my research on the city included research on the nightlife here.  Many websites said that Stockholm has one of the best nightlife’s in the world.  There’s the Spy Bar where Swedish celebrities flock, Mosebacke overlooking the city is the perfect place for a cold beer on a summer night, and for God’s sake, we are living in the middle of the vodka belt! I practically thought that vodka would run from the faucets! I was excited to see what kind of clubs the city had to offer!

However, now that I’m here I’m wondering how anyone can ever afford to get drunk.  It is astronomically expensive to get yourself a Friday night cocktail here! For example, last weekend a friend (Jessika, Germany) and I went to this bar called Pet Sounds in Södermalm. One cocktail, though extremely delicious and funnily named a ‘Moscow Disco’, cost me 102 crowns. That is roughly about 15 U.S. dollars.  For one drink!!!

I’m going to tell you a fairy tale.  In a land far, far away…a land of snow and cheese and football called Stevens Point, Wisconsin, there is a magical place. It is a place where all of the students studying and writing hard go to dance the night away. The magical place is called Graffitti’s and a good time is always…well usually…had by all.  Every Thursday, all of the young ladies of the kingdom of Stevens Point can go to Graffitti’s and pay one dollar to drink out of a magical refilling cup for the whole night.  It could be the best deal in drinking history.

I kept thinking about that ‘Moscow Disco’ and how it was delicious, but if I had used that 15 dollars on Thursday nights in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, I could have partied hard for 15 consecutive weeks.  Here, I can’t even get two drinks for 15 dollars! Not that I’m not having fun here…

In front of the obelisk in Sergels Torg


No comments:

Post a Comment