Saturday, September 17, 2011


I Love Fanny and Lovisa!

At the beginning of this trip, I asked myself, “What’s more fun, a cabin of nine girls who speak too much English, or two girls who barely speak any English?” So far, I’ve come to find both are equally fun. 

Fanny and Lovisa are so great, and cute, and pretty, and nice.  They love me and I love them.  Sometimes, we don’t understand each other but we make it.  I’ve found that even though I rarely understand what the girls are saying, they are just as funny as some campers I’ve had at camp that cracked jokes in English.  For example, Fanny just got a saxophone and she LOVES it.  She honks on it all the time.  Today, Borje got home from a business trip to Japan and Fanny and Lovisa ran outside to greet him.  Fanny brought her saxophone with her.  She didn’t say hello, she honked at him as loud as she could.  Susanna and I watched and laughed at her from the dining room. 

The other wonderful thing about these two girls is that they are helpful and loving.  Lovisa’s school had a bake sale so I offered to make cupcakes with her.  I found a recipe, put it in the metric system, and we baked together.  She kept saying, “I love this! I love this!” and “I like you!” It was so much fun.  And what made me so happy was that she was really helpful about cleaning up.  She washed dishes and volunteered to take out the garbage.  I was so proud of her. 

I also have a lot of fun taking Fanny to and from school every day.  She is the kind of little girl that notices everything.  She’ll stop to pull a leaf off a tree, to try to catch grasshoppers, or to look for fish.  I’m happy that she’s curious about nature, all I’m saying is it takes me 15 minutes exactly to walk to her school. With her it takes a full half an hour.  But she is so cute, I always want to let her kick pine cones for as long as she wants. 

This week, Fanny stayed home from school “sick”, so I got to hang out with her or a few hours.  I made her some Swedish pancakes and we played a Hello Kitty version of Uno and Fanny was cheating! I had to look up the word for cheat in Swedish, ‘Du  fuskar!’ To which she replied while smiling slyly, “Du fuskar!” Then she beat me at Pippi Longstockings memory four times.  This is the only trouble I’ve had with her, which I really don’t consider trouble. 

Look at these little Swedish cuties! They are dressed
 like this for their school's 100 year anniversary.
After meeting a few other au pair girls by now from all over the world, I’ve really realized that I am lucky to be living in the perfect family.  Lovisa and Fanny are fun to be with and pretty easy to take care of.  A lot of girls are stuck with whiners and spoiled brats.  I’m really loving this easy and fun job!

No comments:

Post a Comment