Monday, October 31, 2011

Trick or Treat, Smell My Feet


Trick or Treat Smell My Feet

Halloween is definitely not as big of a deal here as it is in America.  The costumes are all store bought instead of being picked out carefully at thrift stores and the kids don’t go trick or treating until November 5th.  But, I wanted to show my girls a little bit of the American Halloween spirit so on Friday we carved pumpkins, went trick or treating, and watched “Hocus Pocus.” 

Fanny and Lovisa were so excited that day during dinner I was wondering if they had taken drugs.  They ate dinner faster than I’d ever seen, and got into a fight about which costumes they would wear.  They both ended up being witches anyway. Both were cute anyway.  Then, Lovisa wanted to make Zombie fingers out of marzipan and m&m’s and Fanny wanted to make them out of sausages. Susanna said Fanny had been asking to make them out of sausages all day.  After that, I went and hid out in my apartment and 10 minutes later the girls came trick or treating.  And Fanny sang the “Trick or Treat Smell My Feet Song” and I gave them way too much candy.  Then, we went to the au pair’s house who live across the street, Bonnie from Texas, and she gave the girls each a pumpkin cupcake and a chocolate cake ball.  Fanny was so excited about the cupcake that she ate some of the paper.  I showed her that she had eaten some paper and then she and Lovisa couldn’t stop laughing.





We made it back to my house and watched “Hocus Pocus” and ate all of our candy.  Fanny didn’t make it through the movie and Lovisa loved it.  And it was their first movie watched completely in English!

So, Halloween was perfect for the girls but for me, it wasn’t as awesome as Halloween in Wisconsin.  For one thing, not many people dress up, and if they do dress up, they just paint themselves like a disgusting zombie.  I didn’t see any clever or cute costumes.  Philippa, Rachel, (both from England) and I went to one of the biggest clubs in Stockholm called Sturecompagniet.  And not a single person was dressed up.  The club was awesome though, great music and rich people, but we just weren’t drunk enough to have a great clubbing night that night. 

So, I went home early, but there was some construction on the tunnelbana so it took me over two hours to get home.  I sat on the train for a half an hour before it started moving, and that was after a previous 15 minute walk, 10 minute bus ride, and 30 minute wait and ride on the subway.  Then, two people sat next to me and started gossiping in English so of course I listened in.  Then the guy, an extremely skinny, pompous, girly looking Swede said, “I’m actually surprised at how efficient it was to get home.” I wanted to punch him in the face.  Then, we finally got to the end of the line and those two only had to wait six minutes for their bus, and I had to sit in the station for 34 minutes before mine arrived.  Then it took a 20 minute bus ride and 10 minute walk, all in sagging tights, for me to get home. I swear I am not getting on public transportation for at least a week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment